Invitae accepts Medicaid (including managed Medicaid) for all panel (and single gene) orders.
To bill Medicaid for a panel test, please submit an order either using Invitae’s online portal or a paper order form and select the Medicaid billing option. Because Invitae’s criteria are broader than Medicaid criteria, we request that the following be included to support any appeals that may be necessary:
- A letter of medical necessity (available here)
- A signed informed consent form, (available here; please ensure the informed consent form is dated on or before the date of blood draw)
- A detailed family history or pedigree
- Any applicable medical records
Note that although patients may receive an explanation of benefits from Medicaid, this is not a bill.
Invitae does not accept Medicaid or managed Medicaid as a third-party billing option for exome orders. However, as part of our commitment to making genetic testing accessible, Invitae offers a payment option for instances where a Medicaid patient needs exome testing but cannot otherwise afford it. If you select this option, Invitae will bill your practice or institution a reduced rate of $1,250 for proband-only or $2,250 for duo/trio testing (half the list price).
To select this option:
- When placing the order, select “Insurance” as the payment option
- In the “Insurance Company” field, select “EXM 1250/2250”
- Upload the patient’s Medicaid card in the documents section
- Your practice or institution will receive a bill of $1,250 for proband-only or $2,250 for duo/trio testing.
As always, other payment options include patient pay and insurance billing. Learn more about all of Invitae’s billing options here.