Patients who register on Invitae’s patient portal will be able to track the approximate status of their test, request results, and view results when they are released by the ordering provider.
The patient portal’s status tracker includes the following stages: order submitted, sample received, lab processing, analysis & interpretation, clinician review (once you receive results), and report released (once you release results to your patient).
Here is what the full timeline looks like:
The full timeline also has a Request Results button (when the stage reaches Clinician Review):
If you prefer for your patients to not track the details of the order moving through the lab, you can update your preferences in your Invitae provider portal and change the full timeline to a simplified timeline that does not include a Request Results button. Here is how:
- Log into Invitae’s portal, click on your name in the upper right, and then select Settings.
- Once there, you will see a Preferences tab. Click into the Preferences tab.
- Scroll down and you’ll see a section that says “Apply these preferences to orders I place.”
- Uncheck the preference that says “Display order status tracking in the patient portal.”
- When “Display order status tracking in the patient portal” is unchecked and your patient logs into the patient portal, they will not see the progress of the specimen as it moves through the lab.
- Instead, the status tracker will include three stages: order submitted, specimen received, and results released.
- If this is checked off, however, they will see the full timeline including the “Clinician Review” stage.
- Click “Save Changes” to save your updated preferences.
This is what your patient will see when “Display order status tracking in the patient portal” is unchecked:
Please note that a patient sees their test in the sample received stage until you release the results to the patient.